Course Etiquette and Dress Code
In order for all to enjoy the Formby Experience, and to maintain the traditions of our Club and the game of golf, we ask all of our guests to adhere to our Club dress regulations which are detailed on the notices in reception and in the Locker Room.
Our members and guests are welcome to use devices to access the public WIFI throughout the Clubhouse but we would ask that they are engaged in silent mode and not used for telephone calls.
We ask that they must be switched off at all times on the course but may be used in medical emergencies.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Course Etiquette and Dress Code
Formby Golf Club is a traditional Members Club where smart attire is essential at all times. In order for everyone to enjoy our world renowned course and facilities, we ask you to adhere to the following:
On the Course
Players on the course are expected to maintain a high standard of dress and are required to wear smart conventional golfing attire with spike or dimple soled golf shoes.
- The wearing of tailored golfing shorts is permitted. Socks must be worn, with ankle socks visible above the shoe. No show socks are not allowed.
- All shirts must have collars or polo necks and worn tucked inside trousers or shorts.
- All trousers must be tailored.
- Ladies are to wear conventional golfing attire.
Players are politely reminded not to wear any of the following:
- Jeans, tracksuits and shell suits.
- Shorts with additional side pockets, such as cargo or combat style.
- Vests, t-shorts, rugby or football shirts.
- Ladies – halter or round neck tops.
In the Clubhouse
Ground Floor – Entrance Hall, Hall Bar and Golfers’ Bar
- Smart casual golfing attire is expected in the ground floor bars.
- Tailored golf shorts are allowed in the Hall Bar, Golfers’ Bar and the Locker Room.
- Golf shoes (soft spikes only) are permitted in the Hall Bar subject to weather conditions. In the event of inclement weather notices will be displayed advising that a change in footwear is obligatory
- Trainers, sandals and flip flops are not allowed anywhere. Socks must be worn at all times.
- If you are unlucky enough to be caught out by the rain please leave all wet clothing and waterproofs in the drying room. Wet clothing is not to be worn in the Clubhouse.
Upstairs Dining Room, Club Room and Snooker Room
Jackets and Ties are required upstairs at all times after 11am with the exception of Friday Golf and Supper evenings where your tie is optional. A jacket must be worn at all times accompanied by a smart casual shirt with collar and tailored trousers. Smart golfing attire is permitted upstairs in the snooker room only until 6pm on weekdays and Saturdays.
Our members and guests are welcome to use devices to access the public WIFI throughout the Clubhouse but we would ask that they are engaged in silent mode and not used for telephone calls. We ask that they must be switched off at all times on the course but may be used in medical emergencies. The use of mobile devices is not allowed during official club dinners.
Speed of Play
Recommendations from the R&A and USGA suggest you should complete your round in no more than 4 hours and 15 minutes. Golf etiquette requires you to please call through players who are being held up behind you.
You may only play on the tees of the day which are Yellow or Red.
All bunker rakes are to be left in the centre of the bunkers. Trolleys must not be taken onto tees or greens under any circumstances. Pitch marks must be repaired and divots replaced.
Thank you for choosing to visit Formby Golf Club. Please enjoy one of the World’s Great Links Courses.