About the Course
The original 18 hole course was redesigned by the famous Willie Park and a plan of the course (dated 1912) is displayed in the Hall Bar. Alongside is the 1994 plan showing the changes that have taken place in the intervening years.
James Braid changed the original 15th – 18th layout in 1922 to provide extra length and to move the 17th when it was realised that Shireburn Road and the houses were to be constructed to its right. A stand of conifers was planted, some of which remain today.
Minor changes were introduced by Messrs Hawtree & Taylor in 1933, but the latest major change took place in the early 1970s. Construction of the container docks in Liverpool affected the flow of the river Mersey and it became apparent that the erosion would affect the shoreline near the 8th and 9th greens. In 1972 the high equinox spring tides undermined the sand hills and gale force winds regularly blew the loosened sand across the 8th green. The Council investigated ways of combating the erosion but in the end decided to construct new holes taking the course away from the shoreline.
New holes at 7, 8 & 9 were designed by Donald Steel of Frank Pennick & Partners, and a new 10th Tee playing to the existing 10th Green turned this into a short hole. These holes came into play in the early 80’s and were used for the 1984 Amateur Championship.
Over recent years a few changes have been made but most are of a “tweaking” nature; trees were planted in the early 70’s to the right of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd holes, thus screening the railway New bunkers have been created at the 4th, 6th & 11th and others redesigned In 1997 fairway watering was introduced onto 5 holes and now extends to 18 holes. In 1998 new back Tees were built to provide a “Blue” course which has extended the length to 7028 yards (SSS 75) but more importantly has brought back into play, for the scratch golfer, most of the original drive-length bunkers.
More recently in 2005 a new, larger, practice ground was constructed on the site of the whole area of the 14th hole. This has been a significant improvement in terms of Members’ and visitors’ amenity. The new 14th lies immediately to the south of the earlier one and makes for a different but considerable challenge.