The Formby Golf Clubhouse
The original Clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1899 and the present building was erected and opened in 1901. It was built, like its predecessor, to provide residential accommodation. Formby Golf Club continues to offer Dormy House accommodation to visiting golfers – or for those members preferring to stay over after a Club Dinner!
The Clock Tower was a gift to the Club in 1909 from one Mr Joseph Bruce Ismay, Chairman of the White Star Line of Titanic fame, to recognise the Club’s 25th Anniversary. Minor internal improvements were made to provide the Derby Room, bars, offices and modernisation of other club rooms between 1952 and 1956, but no major changes occurred until 1998 when the west wing was extended.
In 1998, a Golfers’ Bar was created from the old locker room and a new locker room provided in the extension. The Dining Room, previously capable of accommodating 50 diners was extended and can now comfortably seat 120 at a Club Dinner. The most remarkable feature of this extension is that, from the course, few would realise that any change had been made.